Tuesday 24 March 2009

THE BARD EXPLAINS

Interviewer: Mr Shakespeare, what's all this about haiku?

WS: Indeed, I confess it's true. I have left a legacy of haiku poetry in various of my works including my comedies, tragedies and sonnets. I had of course anticipated the day when time and fashion would perchance catch-up with me; with my haiku ideas I mean.

Interviewer: Then Mr Shakespeare without any more haiku ado be pleased to lend yourself to the task in hand.

WS: To The Sonnets then!

And so the well-wishing eternal adventurer sets forth,-

6 comments:

  1. It seems there are secret poems popping up all over - Shakespeare and the TLS both seem unlikely hiding places since everyone who's anyone reads them, but they do claim you seldom see what's under your nose. Needless to say, I approve of your ferreting them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mairi, Many thanks for your encouragement. I feel we are poetry pioneers. Will visit the website address you kindly sent. The price of the TLS in Central Europe is prohibitive. The only journal or paper I've found in the paper recycling bin so far is the Financial Times. When you visit PiR next time have a look in the searchbox for the poem 'The Umbrella Man'. It fits so well to all this!
    Once again, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A worthy project! By the way, I've found Shakespeare's texts online a useful hunting ground when experimenting with his text.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dominic, Many thanks for your encouragement and the link which is useful for anyone wanting to check that I'm not cheating!
    By the way, and just for the record, I'm working through the sonnets using an English/German dtv paperback edition of Shakespeare Die Sonette. When I get to the plays I will use my flea-market hardback copy of Complete Works from Collins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mairi and Dominic, due to popular demand the Shakespeare Haiku blog is reopening. My humble apology for the temporary closure. I had no idea so many people would want to read it. The work goes on. And soon apace.

    ReplyDelete